Stars at Work Project aims at assisting 7500 South African Star for Life matriculants, across 66 rural South African schools, find employment after they matriculate. Through the collaboration each student has access to the Knack App as well as inclusion on the YES 4 Youth recruitment database. Thanda Foundation Trust and Star for Life host workshops at each of the schools to assist the students in playing the Knack App and signing up on the YES 4 Youth recruitment database. Thanda Foundation Trust also publishes a booklet providing the students useful tips on how to find employment, how to complete a C.V, what to do whilst looking for employment and links to useful websites to assist the students on their journey after they matriculate.
What is YES for youth?
A business-led collaboration with government and labour to create one million work opportunities for youth. An opportunity for participating corporate companies to meaningfully provide youth employment and improve their B-BBEE scorecard by up to 2 levels in the company’s next verification period.
What is the YES placement initiative?
Youth are placed with participating companies for a 12-month quality workplace experience which will be monitored by YES to ensure a consistent national standard. YES recommends that youth be paid a monthly salary of R3,500.
What is the criteria to join the YES placement initiative?
- South African between 18-35 years of age
- Unemployed; and
- Meet the definition of “Black People” as defined in the Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Act 53 of 2003 as amended by Act 46 of 2013
Why a YES 4 Youth collaboration?
- The initiative has been endorsed by President Ramaphosa.
- YES 4 Youth provides access to the Knack App for all applicants.
- There has already been significant support of YES 4 Youth by large corporate entities.
- The youth are guaranteed a monitored, quality work experience.
- Work readiness modules are provided for all placed youth.
- Each placed youth is given a smartphone to access the readiness modules.
- Resources to assist youth in finding employment such as interview and C.V. tips.
- Incentivises corporates to employ youth through B-BBEE points.